More than just the administrative center of the city government, this 14-storey edifice was also where the 1973 Philippine Constitution was signed. The Constitution was composed of a preamble and 17 articles that allowed the shift from a Presidential to a Parliament System of Government, which legitimized the regime of former President Ferdinand Marcos.

<br Photos by Desserie Dionio

LOCATION: Quezon City Hall Complex, Diliman, Quezon City
DRIVE- From SM North EDSA, take North Avenue all the way to Elliptical Road. At the roundabout, turn right to East Avenue and left to the entrance.
COMMUTE- Jeepneys are available at the SM North EDSA or Trinoma public terminalls.



During the Spanish regime, this community in Barangay Diliman was called Gulod. It is said that the Andres Bonifacio, the Father of the Philippine Revolution, and the Katipuneros used to meet in one of the houses in front of the chapel in the old plaza. Historians also called the place Muog ni Andres Bonicafio at ng Katipunan, which translates to “Stronghold of Andres Bonifacio and the Katipunan”. In August 1896, with the revolution underway, Bonifacio, Emilio Jacinto, and their band of Katipuneros stopped by Gulod to rest and eat before continuing to Pinaglabanan, San Juan. Numerous other documents indicate the existence of Krus na Ligas as early as the 19th century, preceding the establishment of the neighboring University of the Philippines-Diliman.

Photo from Fr. Ron Mariano Roberto
LOCATION: Diliman, Quezon City
DRIVE- From Quezon City Hall, take Mayaman Street to Kalayaan Avenue. Take Malingap to Madasalin Streets and head on to S. Flores to H.R. Ocampo.
COMMUTE- From Quezon City Hall, walk to Kalayaan Avenue at the Mayaman Intersection. From there, ride a jeep going to Cubao and get off at Kalayanaan Avenue. Ride a tricycle up to Krus na Ligas.



In 1940, the Central Luzon Sanitarium was established to accommodate patients suffering from Leprosy. It was later named after Dr. Jose Rodriguez, famous for his control program against Leprosy that was used nationwide and in other Asian countries. Today, the hospital currently serves as the principal referral hospital for Leprosy patients and the premier training and research center for Leprosy care and management in the Philippines.

Photo by Desserie Dionio

LOCATION: Tala, Caloocan City
DRIVE- From SM Novaliches, head north to Quirino Highway. Turn to Mindanao Avenue to get to Regalado Highway. Continue to Caloocan and turn to St. Joseph Street until reaching your destination.
COMMUTE- Adjacent to SM Novaliches, take a jeep heading to the Novaliches-Bayan-Simbahan route. From Simbahan, walk towards the jeepney terminal to Bagong Silang Phase 5 and alight at Tala. From there, ride a tricycle to the hospital.



Paco Park used to be a burial site called the Cementerio Municipal de Manila y Capilla de San Pancracio. In 1807, the Dominicans ordered the construction of the cemetery in Bagumbayan due to the outbreak of cholera in Manila. It is said that the remains of the country’s national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, were interred at the Paco Cemetery after his execution on December 30, 1896 before they were transferred to the base of his monument in Rizal Park. Burials at the Paco Cemetery ceased in 1912. It was declared as a National Cultural Treasure in January 2015.

Photo courtesy of Angelo Jabagat

LOCATION: Belen, Paco, Manila
DRIVE- From Manila City Hall, head east to Natividad Lopez Street. Turn right to San Marcelino Street, and turn left to Gen. Luna Street. Destination will be on your left.
COMMUTE – From Manila City Hall, turn right to Natividad Lopez Street and turn left to Antonio Villegas Street. Take the LRT Line 1 then alight at the United Nations Station. From there, walk toward Taft Avenue then right to General Luna Street.



The Battle of San Juan del Monte, sometimes referred to as the Battle of Pinaglabanan or Battle of San Juan is considered as the first real battle for Philippine independence against Spain. On the evening of August 29, 1896, Katipuneros led by Andres Bonifacio, Emilio Jacinto and Sancho Valenzuela marched toward El Polvorin, a Spanish position in San Juan del Monte. The following morning, they seized the nearby El Deposito which prompted Spaniards to call for reinforcements. The Battle of San Juan del Monte might have been one the many engagements won by Spain but it still showed the courage and fortitude of Filipinos.

Today, the five-hectare Pinaglabanan Memorial Shrine is sprawled along an underground reservoir built in 1880. Its centerpiece is an evocative monument created by Edgardo Castrillo entitled “Spirit of Pinaglabanan.”

Photo from sanjuancity.gov.ph

LOCATION: Cororazon De Jesus Street, Pinaglabanan, San Juan.
DRIVE- From the San Juan City Hall, head southeast to Pinaglabanan toward Jose Gil/Valenzuala. Destination will be on the left.
COMMUTE – same as above.



Also called the Manila Metropolitan Cathedral-Basilica, the Manila Cathedral has been a venue for papal masses in the country, including those celebrated by Blessed Paul VI in 1970, Saint John Paul II in 1981 and Pope Francis in 2015.

In 1571, the Cathedral was initially built from nipa and bamboo. In 1581, its status was elevated to a cathedral by Bishop Domingo Salazar after the establishment of the Diocese of Manila. The basilica was reconstructed several times due to wars, typhoons and earthquakes. Today, the Manila Cathedral-Basilica serves as one of the favorite wedding venues of Catholic couples.


Photos by Desserie Dionio

LOCATION: Sto. Tomas, Intramuros, Manila
DRIVE – From Manila City Hall, head west to Natividad Street toward Taft Avenue. Take Liwasang Bonofacio West Overpass and take the Riverside Direction. Head on to Soriano Avenue to Cabildo Street in Intramuros.
COMMUTE- From Manila City Hall, walk toward Padre Burgos Street. Ride a bus or a jeep and light at Andres Soriano Jr. Avenue and walk to Manila Cathedral.



Also known as the Minor Basilica of Saint Lorenzo Ruiz, the Binondo Church was built in 1596 within the Chinese community to encourage Buddhists to convert to Catholicism. Lorenzo Ruiz once served at the convent of Binondo Church as an altar boy In 1636, Ruiz was implicated in the murder of a Spaniard, which prompted him to seek asylum abroad with three Dominican priests. Their boat landed at Okinawa, Japan and the group was immediately arrested on the basis of their religion. Despite being tortured, they did not denounce their faith and died as martyrs. Ruiz was beatified in Manila on Feb.18, 1981 by Pope John Paul II. He was canonized as the first Filipino saint on Oct. 18, 1987.

Screenshot from PanahonTV Archives

LOCATION: Plaza L. Ruiz, Binondo,Manila
DRIVE- From Manila City Hall, head west along Natividad Lopez St. Turn right to Taft Ave. then left to Quintin Paredes Road. Destination will be on your right.
COMMUTE- From Manila City Hall, walk to Taft Avenue then ride a jeep to Divisoria. Go down at the Veronica Intersection and walk to the Binondo Church.



The Hotel del Oriente in Binondo is considered as the first luxury hotel in Manila. No less than our national hero, Jose Rizal, stayed in its Room 22 when he arrived from Hong Kong on June 26, 1892. The location of the hotel at Plaza Calderon de la Barca (now Plaza Lorenzo Ruiz) was strategic as it stood next to several Chinese retail businesses in Intramuros and Escolta. Before it was destroyed by war, the hotel served as the office of the Philippine Constabulary.

Photo: Replica of the Hotel de Oriente now located in Las Casas de Filipinas de Acuzar, by Andrea Pataueg

LOCATION: Plaza L. Ruiz, Binondo,Manila
DRIVE- From Manila City Hall, head west along Natividad Lopez St. Turn right to Taft Avenue, then a slight left to Quintin Paredes Road. Destination will be on the right.
COMMUTE- From Manila City Hall walk to Taft Avenue. Ride a jeep bound for Divisoria. Go down at Juan Luna and walk to the Binondo Church. The site is on the left side of the church.

The streets of Metro Manila may now be filled with establishments; but if we if look closer, we’ll discover spots that hold timeless beauty and unique history. Stop by these places now that you’ve learned how they’ve shaped both our country and us Filipinos.

http: //www.filipiknow.net/manila-buildings-and-landmarks-that-no-longer-exist/

— with research from PanahonTV Intern Shelly Camile Chan